“L’UNION FAIT LA FORCE”(STRENGTH THROUGH UNITY): CELEBS, GRASSROOTS ORGANIZATIONS IN ATLANTA, MIAMI & NY COORDINATE MASS EFFORT TO RELIEVE VICTIMS OF HAITI EARTHQUAKE
(ATLANTA) – January 14, 2010 – Several celebrities and grassroots organizations in Atlanta, Miami and New York have joined forces in a mass effort to provide aid to the victims of the 7.0 earthquake in Haiti.
Singer/songwriter Melky Jean’s Carma Foundation, Atlanta-based The Haitian Alliance, New York’s Haitian Memorial Foundation, the City of Miami and WEEN (Women in Entertainment Empowerment Network) are offering local communities ways in which they assist in the Haiti relief effort.
Celebrities and executives such as Melky Jean, Jamie Hector, Daphnee Duplaix, Sha Money, Tony Yayo, Mona Scott-Young, Raekwon, Claudine Joseph, Patty Laurent, and La La Vazquez have all signed on to help spread the word about this grassroots movement.
YOUR CALL TO ACTION:
FOR NATIONAL DONATIONS TO HAITI
The Port-au-Prince offices of the Carma Foundation – whose mission is to improve the health of poor and vulnerable women and children in Haiti – were seriously affected by the Haiti earthquake.Make a monetary donation at http://www.carmafoundation.org/ to help Carma send missionaries to Haiti to aid in the relief effort.
• The City of Miami, District 5 is accepting donations of emergency supplies such as clothing, water, first aid and canned food to send immediately to Haiti. Contact Tracy Lozama in the District 5 office at 305-253-5390 for more information.
• Make a monetary donation to The Haitian Alliance to help send missionaries and emergency supplies to Haiti at www.transformhaiti.org.
• The Haitian Alliance is also collecting relief materials such as drinking water, first aid items, toiletries, non-perishable food rations, baby formula, linens and more.
The Haitian Alliance Drop-off Locations:
* WRFG Radio -Mon – Fri; 11:00AM – 6:00PM; Sat (1/16) – 2PM-4PM; 1083 Austin Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30307-1940
*Northside Women’s Specialists-Mon – Fri; 8:30AM – 5:00PM; 980 Johnson Ferry Rd, Suite 620,Atlanta, GA 30342-1608
*Northside Women’s Specialists – Mon – Fri; 8:00AM – 3:30PM; 1015 Mansell Road, Roswell, GA 30076-1507
* Club Intrigue – Mon-Sun; 4PM – until; 5471 Memorial Drive, Stone Mountain, GA 30083
ADDITIONAL FUNDRAISING EVENT:
Rebuild Haiti: A Benefit Concert for Haitian Relief – Tues, Jan. 19; Lenny’s Bar – 486 Decatur Street Atlanta, 30312 – 7pm to 12am; Tickets: $8 at the door. (100% Profits will be Donated to The Haitian Alliance for the Haitian Relief efforts); For more information, visit www.unitedforjamaica.org.
Six bands participate in A Night of live Reggae and feel-good music. Monetary and in kind donation boxes will be accepted. Please see: http://www.TransformHaiti.org for list of needed items.
• The Haitian Memorial Foundation and WEEN are seeking volunteers to donate and gather supplies as well as travel to Haiti to assist in the global relief effort.
To offer your help/resources, call I. Maxime Auguste at (914)7513303. You can drop-off emergency supplies at the HMF office at 435 South Broadway, Suite #1, Yonkers NY 10705. www.haitianmemorialfoundation.org.
• Supplies Drop-Off Location: To donate dry food, non perishable items, sneakers, flat shoes, sandals, clothing, blankets, baby wipe, water bottles, etc to aid workers who are on-the-ground in Haiti, please see the address and times below:
2115 Nostrand Ave, 3rd Fl (b/w Flatbush & Glenwood), Brooklyn NYC
Time: 12p – 8p
Dates: Fri 1/15, Sat 1/16, & Sun 1/17